Thursday, May 27, 2010

Wonderfully Nice End to a Great Semester....

I went in to take my last final for the semester today. After I had spent an hour in the library reading over material for the test I decided to head over to Batmale Hall and wonder the halls waiting for 3 o'clock. Standing in the hall outside of the classroom and reading the news on my phone, my friend and classmate for the past two semesters, Sam, walks up. I am always happy to see Samuel, he has been both funny and interesting to talk with over the past two semesters.
I ask him if he is ready for the final and he tells me that he has already taken it, last week. He tells me that he is glad to have caught me and wanted to tell me how much he enjoyed the time we had in class and is sad that we won't be seeing each other every week. He then goes on to tell me that he wanted to tell me that he was a Christian and was afraid to tell me this in the beginning because of my sexual orientation and that I might be offended. I let him know that he shouldn't ever be afraid to tell someone that and it is only a small piece of the whole person, and in no way would I have let that get in the way of us getting to know each other. I then go on to tell him that he should be looking forward to UC Davis and to make as many friends as possible there and to get involved with the professors and advisors and really be absorbed into the university and that will help him to succeed. He tells me that he wishes he could be as calm and collected and knowing what I want with school and my education. I tell him that he will, and it takes time. And that I see school as fun, something I enjoy and love doing, and that is why I seem so calm, but I am not always.
He then proceeds to give me a hug, and I give him a big pat on the back and tell him to email me if he ever needs to chat or needs to talk about UC Davis or just needs an encouraging word or two.
Mostly though, I took so much from this. Sam managed to bring out a side in me that I rarely see. To be an encouragement, and advisor, a 'big brother'......to have someone look up to me in that way, made me feel like I mattered to someone in this universe.
Samuel, I will miss you, but I am certain we shall cross paths again. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers