Sunday, August 9, 2009

Time Doesn't Fly by Anymore

Coming up on another birthday, and as the day approaches I like to take time and reflect on the past year and take account of the many different experiences that I had.

The year has gone by so quickly, and at one point I was starting to catch myself thinking the old thought, the older you get the faster time seems to go by. I sat down and really took note and reached deep inside to see if this was something I really believed and if there was anything to this. This is what I came to discover. As we get older, we start to accumulate more and more experiences and more responsibilities. We also tend to get trapped in a way of doing things that are familiar and tend not to change day to day, month to month, year to year. When this happens, the years can meld together, and before we know it, then time has flown by.

Somehow though, this past year, I managed to take on a new outlook on life. I didn't allow myself to get caught in the mundane rythms that so afflict our society. I took on each day as a new adventure. A chance to live the day as something it should be, a new chapter in my life. I tried my hardest to making something memorable about every day. Sometimes it was something big like getting an "A" on a certain test, or something small as helping a mother to get on a bus with her child.

This helped me to slow down my life, to take account of things, to appreciate every day. Amazingly, the year didn't fly by, it felt as if it went by at the pace life was meant to. Not too fast, making me feel like it slipped away. So now I come to the part where I look at the things I accomplished and reflect on them. This will allow me to plan for the upcoming year and to look forward to the many amazing days that it will give me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers