Saturday, April 17, 2010

April 18, 2010....Thoughts.

While I was walking around downtown today I started to ponder the ideas of identity and labels that we as a society feel the need to place ourselves into. I comprehend the concept and some the reasons behind it, but I wonder if we ever stop to think of the consequences that come with this behavior.

Some examples of labels/grouping that we as society feel we need to subscribe to:
Nationality/Ethnic Identification
Sexuality
Political Party
Religion

And within each of these groups are many sub groups that I feel further divide us and separate us. And I also am curious as to how much when we belong in these groups, do they cause us to fail to experience the fullness of life and all the lessons and knowledge we could have if we would just drop the labels. To just experience life in its fullness with it's ever changing dynamics. If I don't have the label, then there aren't expectations places on me from those within society and likewise I don't enter into a situation/experience with preset reasons on what will be expected.

I want to experiment within myself of being neither Democrat or Republican, Gay nor Straight, with no identification as to ethnic background or religious standings. I want to walk into every situation with an open mind and open heart, with no judgments and to let the experience unfold into what it is. I feel that if I go into a situation without judgment, that whatever the experience, good or bad, there will be a lesson to be learned. I also don't want to limit myself to what someone or some group may have to offer that will make my life fuller and richer. I have had a lot of thought recently in regards to stereotyping and judging a person by the group that they seem to represent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers